Sunday, March 2, 2008

Valenti_NO!?!?!?


When I first heard that Valentino Garavani was retiring I didn't believe it. I intially thought that he would close the doors on the fashion house but then I heard that the company was purchased by Permira (a private equity firm) and the line would continue on without Mr. Garavani. The idea really marinated in my head when I read the style section in this Sunday's Times. Then I saw the runway show that the new creative director Alessandra Facchinetti put on in Paris' Fashion Week and upon viewing that show I have difficulty believing that Garavani himself didn't design those pieces. I knew that Facchinetti was previously the creative director for Gucci after Tom Ford left but little did I know that she would be so precise with following in the Valentino legacy and so fast too; Valentino just retired in September of 07. I was really expected this show to be something distant of what Valentino customers have come to know but that was not the case at all. Was this just a case of luck or is she the perfect fit? For now it appears so but all is revealed in time so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Stay tuned.

SoHo