Saturday, March 28, 2009

Brunch with John

This morning John Varvatos threw a brunch at the SoHo location for a select few. If you had to make a list of people that you would like to have brunch with I doubt that John would be on the majority of list but that is what makes him so cool. His demeanor is so relaxed and humble that if you didn't know who he is and what he does, you wouldn't be able to tell. We had an interesting conversation about his rise on the radar and how his image shifted from "that guy that designed for converse" to John Varvatos GQ Magazine rated designer of the year, recipient of the Perry Ellis award for menswear, recipient of the designer of the year award from the CFDA and despite all of the awards and recognition he is still very down to earth.
Looking around the store I've seen so many scarves that I knew there had to be some importance to it, so I inquired about the scarf and what role it plays in his life. He simply wrote it off as a personal style note. Saying: "I like to dress up in a tie when I need to but for leisure I would much rather wear a scarf." Sensing that he leans more towards comfort in his choice of leisure attire I inquired if it transcends into the collection when he is designing. He assured me that there is a sense of comfort in his clothing. Wear a suit if you have to but once you wear a John Varvatos suit you'll start wearing them because you want to.

To see the rest of the pictures from Brunch:

SoHo