Wednesday, August 20, 2008

UBIQ


Well if you've heard the buzz about the Quest Love Nike sneakers then you would already know that there was pandemonium at UBIQ when they released the sneakers. Quest Love was actually on site for the release and CNN was there to cover the story. That was enough to get my attention so I had to investigate, there had to be more to this store than just the hype behind the sneakers because this store was selected to have the sneakers. So I went down to Central Philadelphia, 1509 Walnut street to be exact. 
As I stepped into UBIQ I started to understand why this store was selected to be the location for the release of ?Love's sneakers. As soon as you walk in you can clearly see that the store is huge, in the first corridor there is a wall to wall extensive selection of sneakers, this room is like a sole collector's wet dream.

As I proceeded into the back I notice the effort that went into the interior design of the store and honestly I was impressed. It made me realize that most of the clothing store's in SoHo are just open spaces or renovated warehouses and the upkeep is basically none so everything is profit. That is the inverse of what is going on here at UBIQ, you are encouraged to stay and relax while you shop, have a conversation with the associates about anything under the sun and take in the whole experience, something like Brooklyn Circus; stores like this understand that experience is everything.

I was also impressed by the variety of clothing that is available at this store. Yes that's right, that is an original fake ad and they do carry original fake. More than that they had brand new original fake that I didn't even know was released yet.
My favorite section was the toy section. I stared at those toys for about 10 minutes. The miniature sneakers ranged from Vans to Bathing Ape's and they were just so cool. They also carry Dunny's and basically anything to that effect. Every section of the store that I checked out impressed me and just when I thought that I couldn't take anymore...
I went upstairs and found that there was another world of sneaker's and clothes. This room displayed above is a skater's wet dream. 6 columns and 7 rows in each column of nothing but Vans: High top, low top, mid, chukka, exclusive, general release, you name it and they have it. They even have used Vans on display on the wall over each column just to add to the feel of the room.
When I went into the last room on the second floor I found a layout of more Stüssy products than Stüssy New York has (trust me I just came from Stüssy New York). My whole experience was a memorable one but what impressed me the most is the fact that this store is located in Philadelphia, a state that isn't so readily noted for their great fashion sense. I would expect a store of this caliber to be located somewhere on West Broadway in SoHo New York but it isn't. That says a lot to me and it makes me wonder how long will it be before Philadelphia's name gets on the map for fashion? When will the natives of Philly get caught up in this wave of dressing nice? Will they turn up by the masses to trade in their white tee's and flip flops for a Neighborhood tee and a pair of Mork & Mindy dunks? Only time will tell but for now all we can do is wait. If your ever in town be sure to check out UBIQ.
(no offense to anyone with the white tee, flip flop statement)

SoHo