Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Summer Stage: Santogold

The crowd is packed to capacity, the event is almost over, everyone in the V.I.P section has become acquainted with everyone else by now and the only person that hasn't stepped foot outside of their trailer is Santogold. The crowd patiently waits for her to make an appearance. There was a whisper over the entire crowd all day about her, most of the people that came out came to see the Philly native tear it up. Her dancers finally come out and start stretching back stage, then she emerges from her room and makes her way to the stage.
The crowd spots her and explodes! Encore before the first word is even uttered seems to kind of surprise her. She brings the microphone to her mouth and it begins. 
Song after song I feel the energy in the crowd building and I get the sense that there isn't anyone that would disagree with me; it was worth the wait. Who ever put the program together, properly planned it when they put her last on the performance list. She was nothing short of a closer, high energy but not missing a beat. My favorite song by her is "Creator" so when that came on I was living but I had never seen her perform live before so I was in for a surprise. I had no idea that the melodic screeching at the beginning of the song was really her but I found out when she did it on stage. I'm surprised no one else passed out when she was performing she commands so much energy in her small frame that the crowd had no choice but to give her that much more energy and her back up dancers were not only beautiful but on point with every move.

I caught up with her and her dancers after their performance and let me tell you they had so much more energy like they could have gone back on and did it all over again. She was so nice, she actually made me laugh because she kept apologizing for being sweaty. I'm like "babes you just killed it out there, screw being sweaty; your amazing!" 
Say what you want Santogold is here and the people approve she's here to stay so this is SoHo B saying:

Toast to the future. 

SoHo