Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Summer Stage: A-Trak

If you've seen a show in the Glow In The Dark tour then you know that DJ A-Trak is Kanye West's DJ. According to the media Mr. West doesn't like anyone right now and he's on a self-destructive pattern, cutting off people that he's known and worked with forever. (I don't buy that) However Ye is yet to cut off A-Trak and I can see why. Honestly if you've never heard him play it may be kind of hard for you to imagine the experience so here is some information to help you get a clue.

-Just in case you didn't know-

- (1997)-DMC world championship at the age of 15, making him the youngest ever to win.

-The first canadian to win the DMC world championship

- The first DJ to win 5 DMC world championships

-The first DJ to win all three major DJ competitions (DMC, ITF, Vestax)

If you think that all of that doesn't mean anything just look at this crowd. We had to throw the water on em, Trak had them too hot. Two women passed out in the crowd and were rushed over to the ambulance to be revived; yes it was that serious. Trak spun some hits that got my attention. Some serious hits from Busta Rhymes, some Fat Man Scoop and Kid Cudi even came back on stage but what impressed me the most was the way that he mixed the songs and the scratching. He builds so much hype when he puts a cut from one song in another then goes into it and scratches it at the climax to keep that energy going; he had the V.I.P section going crazy.
After all of that we got a chance to kick it and I learned that he's a really cool person. Some people are naturally assholes and rightly so. I would think that after all of his achievements he would be an asshole, I would actually understand if he was but he's really down to earth. I appreciate his hospitality towards me and wanted to take this time out to say thank you.

SoHo