Monday, August 4, 2008

Janell Monae

When I went to go see Janell Monae perform I really didn't know what to expect. I heard a buzz about how good she is and I've heard her songs so I knew that she could sing, just wasn't sure how her live performance would be. She has a wonderful voice, it's really a treat to listen to. She sounds familiar but refreshing and comforting at the same time. To look at her you wouldn't think she's any older than 17, she's a pleasant, down to earth person, I guess that comes from inhabiting a southern state. When I actually saw her I was kind of confused because I was listening to her music all night and I was at confused when this cute little woman bust out of her dressing room and made her way to the stage.

She built up some anticipation in the crowd, seems as though I wasn't the only one that was attracted to the show to see her.
When she opened her mouth and started singing I got goose bumps. Where was she drawing this amazing voice from? I couldn't make sense of it and after a while I stopped trying. As soon as she hit the stage she was no long Janell Monae, she transformed into 57821, Cindy Mayweather from the year 2719. She gave so much energy and the crowd gave it right back. During her performance she did it all from the footwork that a young James Brown is noted for to Michael Jackson's signature moon walk. She broke out into fits, swung the microphone, dropped the microphone stand and just when I was in love with her stage presence...
Ms. Mayweather jumped off of the stage, into the crowd and started a mosh pit in the middle of the crowd. After I seen that she was okay and back on stage I had to stop watching because I couldn't take anymore; simply amazing. I want to see a concert with Theophilus London, Santogold and Janell Monae. I know that they have three different styles but these three people leave it all on the stage and I think that essence of a true performer is lacking in the industry nowadays. Now I see why Diddy signed her, congratulations to her on her deal at Bad Boy and I wish her 100 years of success.

After her performance Cindy Mayweather was nowhere to be found but Ms. Monae showed up to sign autographs and chat a bit with SoHo B. 
Get In:

Go Deeper:


or


-side note-
Her style is so sick, I wore an outfit that would usually make me stick out, however around her and her team I fit in. Everyone with her was in a tux. Her producer divulged with me that he wears a tux everyday. 

SoHo